Before getting into a sport or an activity, the first thing you need to check is whether it is actually fun or not … At the end of the day, there is not point getting through a boring sport right!
I do honestly believe that this sport brings excitement in so many different ways!
Indeed, in this article I will highlight the fun aspects of soccer.
Is Soccer Fun? (7 Reasons …)
1. Fun hobby for kids
Soccer is not just a sport; it is also a fun hobby for kids of all ages! Children can benefit a ton, in all aspect of their lives. Benefits include…
- Great Exercise: With all the practices and games that come along with being a part of a soccer team, kids are sure to have a lot of joy running around which also doubles as great cardio!
- Improved Hand-Eye Coordination: Granted, soccer is more ‘foot-eye’ coordination but this skill helps build concentration and focus in children without them even realizing it because they’re having so much fun just kicking a ball!
- A Fun Social Environment: Playing soccer provides kids with an entertaining social environment beyond school where they can interact and laugh with other kids their age. This not only adds to the fun of the sport but aids in social development as well.
2. It is a Team Sport
Arguably the most fun aspect of soccer is that it is a team sport! Team sports tend to be way more exciting than individual sports because you get to share the experience with a group of friends. Team sports include…
- Life-Long Friends: Spending a lot of time with your team tends to foster very strong friendships that begin to feel like family!
- Community: It is fun to be on a team because everyone is working towards the same goal which fosters a comforting sense of community.
3. Soccer rules are easy to learn
We know some sports can have a very confusing set of rules and obviously, that automatically decreases its level of entertainment.
Don’t worry! That is totally not the case with soccer. You will be happy to hear that the rules are very easy to learn.
All you need to know at the beginning is to kick that ball into the opponent’s goal and to not use your hands. Unless you are the goalie of course!
One of the main reason’s soccer is so popular worldwide is because of how easy and accessible to sport is. Truly, all you need is a ball and some open space to run in.
Finally, I honestly believe that this simplicity when it comes to thr rules is what makes soccer considered by many as the best sport there is!
4. Cost for Entry is low!
Another worry that commonly accompanies sports as an extracurricular is the cost. Sports like gymnastics and hockey require their athletes to spend thousands of dollars of expensive gear and accessories.
5. You can play soccer where you want
Unlike many sports, you can have fun playing soccer wherever you want, whenever you want!
You can juggle in your bedroom alone or you can play a whole game with your team in an arena.
The way you play soccer can be as big or as small as you want it to be!
6. All Players Have A Chance
Soccer is one of the only sports in the world where every player on the field can have their time to shine and truly be appreciated.
Everyone on the field, even the goalie, is given the chance to score a goal every so often which spreads around all the fun and glory to everyone!
Unlike football and baseball, where most attention is spent watching the quarterback or pitcher; in soccer everyone can be a star at any moment.
7. It’s A Safe Sport
Soccer is a relatively safe sport!
With the addition of shin guards and the minimal contact, soccer proves to be a lot safer than sports such as basketball where there is minimal protective equipment and football where there is a lot of contact.
What is unique about soccer?
There are 2 things are seems for me unique about this sport:
- Internationally played: Soccer is the most played sport on the planet. Sports like football and baseball are only played in specific regions of the world. This makes the passion and fan loyalty to the sport so intense and fun.
- Short Playing Time: Soccer is typically made up of two 45-minute halves. For children, it will range from 20-30-minute halves and work its way up as the kids get older. Compared to T-ball games which can last up to four hours, this is a relatively short playing time, allowing for optimal entertainment and minimal fatigue.
Tips to make soccer even more fun as a hobby!
You’d think soccer couldn’t get any more fun; but don’t worry it can! Below are some tips to make the sport even more enjoyable than it already is.
- Become a fan of a professional team: Look up your local professional soccer team and see if you can find tickets to one of their matches. It’ll be fun to watch pro’s play so close to home and it will motivate you as well!
- Positive and fair-play attitude: Sometimes you’re going to lose a game. It is disappointing but inevitable. It’s important to keep a positive attitude and know your hard work is still paying off and that ultimately, it’s a fun game!
Is soccer fun to watch?
I’ve been watching soccer decades now, and I can ensure to you that I am always nervous before games especially if it involves teams that I am personally supporting!
This could also depend on the kinds of playing style you like!
For example, if you like more contact, agility and goals, then the English Premier League is what you should be watching.
However, if you are a fan of tactics and defensive strategies, then you should have a look at the Italian league (Calcio).
Finally, if you like more individualities and fantastic individual skills, then the Spanish League (La Liga) is what you will need to watch!
Fun facts about soccer …
Now for some fun facts about soccer!
- The earliest game of soccer can be traced back to almost 3,000 years ago!
- A regulation soccer field is rectangular and must be between 100 and 130 yards long and 50 to 100 yards wide.
- You can only have 11 players on a field at a time.
- From 1919 to 1921, the first American professional soccer league, the USSA, paid its players just 35 cents per goal scored.
- Until 1991, soccer was illegal in Mississippi.
- The FIFA World Cup is the most-watched sporting event in the entire world.
- Soccer is known as football everywhere except in the United States. An English name, it does not actually refer to the fact that you play with your feet, but that it is a game played on one’s feet, rather than on horseback.
- Soccer is the most lucrative sport in the world. The soccer industry produces more money than any other sport.
Final Thoughts …
Hope this article has convinced you of how fun soccer could be, not only for you but also for your kids if you’ve got any!
If you’ve never played soccer before, then believe, it won’t take more than touching a ball with your feet and shooting it to realize that.
Finally, I think you’ll find this article on why some soccer players like exchanging jerseys interesting!